The year is coming to a close. There’s no better time to rethink your day-to-day habits than on 1st of January 2020 – the beginning of a brand new, shiny decade full of promise and hope.
For me, 2020 marks a fresh start for us all to adopt a more sustainable and eco-friendly lifestyle. Over the past twelve months, I’ve implemented small but significant changes that have shaped my lifestyle for the better – and I intend to continue on this path in the new year.
Here are 15 simple ways to become more sustainable and eco-friendly day-to-day:
- Refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle
- Adopt a plant-based diet
- Choose seasonal food
- Try to go zero waste
- Drive and fly less
- Switch to a renewable energy provider
- Say no to fast fashion
- Pick up litter
- Join your local nature conservation and/or rewilding group
- Ditch single-use plastics
- Avoid products with harmful chemicals or pesticides
- Plant bee-friendly wild flower seeds
- Use search engine Ecosia to help plant trees
- Read up on challenges and solutions
- Write to your local MP about your environmental concerns
You can also help raise awareness and inspire others to take similar actions by simply discussing all of the above with friends, family and colleagues.
All too often we set ourselves unrealistic objectives for the new year and beat ourselves up at the merest hint of failure. But if you care about the environment and understand how you can help safeguard it, you will start to take small, positive steps towards living a more sustainable lifestyle with ease. Don’t worry if you stumble along the way, just do your best and carry on.
For more tips on how to live a more eco-friendly lifestyle, read 5 top tips to zero waste living.